Since I had so much wonderful feedback when I created my Sunflower Brooch a few weeks ago, I thought that I would share another creation for all of you – The Metal Rose Necklace. Just like the Sunflower, this Rose is die cut from thinner weight metal and then hand colored and shaped to create this beautiful flower. This time I thought that I would make it into a necklace, but this flower would look just as stunning as a ring!
Let’s get creative!
Cut the following quantities of petals using the Create-A-Rose die from aluminum metal sheets:
• 12 each of large petal
• 8 each of medium petal
• 5 each of small petal
Note: Use the Metal Shim plate when cutting pieces with the Artisan X-plorer™ machine.
Color the cut metal petals:
- Apply a base coat of Inka Gold Metallic Rub Base Coat with an InkBlusher on both sides of each petal. Allow to dry completely.
- With an InkBlusher, coat both sides of each petal with Inka Gold Metallix Rub. Once dry, use a paper towel to buff each petal to reveal gold luster.
- Place a large drop of Boysenberry Silks Glaze on the stem end of the petal.
- Add a generous amount of Vavoom Red Silk to an InkBlusher and spread from the stem outward while blending the two colors together. Allow to dry completely.
- Repeat for all petals.
- With an InkBlusher, edge all the pieces with StazOn Metallic Gold.
Assembling the flower:
- To begin assembling the rose, use red line tape to adhere the first large petal at the stem and place into the bezel.
- Add three more large petals (as shown) for a total of four to complete the first layer
- Shape the petals to form a cup and slightly bend the tips down to give a realistic appearance.
- Repeat for two more layers of large petals, offsetting the placement of each layer.
- Build two layers of medium sized petals in the same manner.
- Complete the petal construction by adding the final layer of five small petals.
- Following manufacturer’s instructions, mix ICE Resin and paint onto each rose petal to add a protective seal.
- Add the rivoli to the middle of the flower with ICE Resin and allow to cure completely.
- Wrap the plain rhinestone chain with metallic embroidery floss to add color to the chain.
- Attach chain to each end of the bezel using jump rings.
IMAGINE Crafts/Tsukineko StazOn Metallic Gold solvent ink, GlazOn layer protectant
Beadalon flat nose pliers, jump rings, necklace clasp
ICE Resin ICE Resin, Medium Square Hobnail Bezel, brush
Spellbinders Create-A-Rose die, Aluminum metal sheets, Artisan X-plorer Machine and Metal Shim plate
Viva Color Inka Gold Metallic Rub Base Coat, Inka Gold Metallix Rub, Silks Acryllic Glaze: Boysenberry, Vavoom Red
Miscellaneous red line double sided tape, rhinestone chain, faceted crystal rivoli, metallic embroidery floss